About Festival Medical Services
Festival Medical Services started as an eager group of volunteers providing medical cover at Glastonbury Festival. During the seventies and early eighties it was done in a low-key and simple fashion, but as the Glastonbury evolved to become the largest music festival in Europe, medical provision had to keep pace.
By the beginning of the 1990s Glastonbury Festival Medical Services was well-established and well-managed, providing an impressive range of medical facilities that didn't go unmissed by organisers of similar events. As a result the organisation was approached by promoters of the Reading Festival and the newly re-named Festival Medical Services began providing cover there in 1995.
During 1998 Festival Medical Services was registered as a charity with its stated objectives to:
- Aid the relief of sickness by the provision of medical services and emergency relief, particularly at public gatherings, and
- Raise funds for other medical and environmental charities.
In 2008 Festival Medical Services continues to be a registered charity but in addition has become a limited incorporated company.
Festival Medical Services is now recognised as a uniquely qualified provider of medical services at large events, and is amongst the most respected and authoritative voices in its field.
This was confirmed when FMS was invited by the Health & Safety Executive to assist in the revision of its "Pop Code" (The Purple Guide).
FMS offers a full service including:
- Medical risk assessment
- Licensing advice and support
- Comprehensive medical and paramedical services
- Post event report and recommendations
- Specialist first aid training for stewards & security staff
FMS offers great opportunities for health professionals from a wide range of disciplines to:
- Work in a well-organised, highly motivated team
- Provide top-quality specialist health care
- Practise in a challenging yet fun environment
- Support medical and environmental good causes
Services provided nowadays by FMS are easily the most comprehensive and sophisticated to be found anywhere in the industry. Events covered include some of the biggest and most prestigious in the UK:
- Glastonbury Festival
- Reading Festival